Throughout the months of July and August, Dover residents and activists have pushed back against the City Council and the Dover Police Department’s inaction at city council meetings that were covered by the local press. This week, Dover Police Chief Thomas A. Johnson Jr. pushed back against claims of police misconduct made by residents and activists at the city council meetings. Then, the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #15 pushed back against Chief Johnson and called for his resignation.
So what has happened exactly?
On Aug. 14, Chief Johnson put out a statement on Facebook and the Dover Police Department’s website alleging that a small group of individuals were pushing claims of police misconduct in order to “cast doubt” on the work of police officers.
“So far, in almost every instance, there is no evidence associated with the claim other than ‘A constituent said’,” wrote Chief Johnson. “The same proxy speakers are coming month after month with their hearsay information in what appears to be a coordinated effort to cast doubt on the great work my Officers do EVERY single day.”
The Facebook post garnered over 200 comments containing mixed sentiments about the statement. Some said residents should support the police department and be a part of the solution, whereas others contend that releasing police body camera footage would clarify any accusations of police misconduct.


While people debated the Chief’s statement on Facebook, the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #15 released their own statement the next day, calling for the resignation of Chief Johnson. In the statement posted on Facebook, the FOP claimed 93% of eligible officers voted no confidence in Chief Johnson on July 24. Also, the statement highlighted the FOP’s disagreement with the fact that Chief Johnson was an external hire and did not rise through the ranks with other Dover officers. According to WBOC-TV, his hire was the first time in almost seven decades that the city had selected an external candidate for the chief position.
In a series of Facebook posts — the organization’s first in four years — the FOP claims that the police department and the Dover community deserve better leadership. In one post on Aug. 17, they refer to Chief Johnson’s statement in response to community criticism at city council meetings, saying, “The message from Chief Johnson the other day was too little, too late. We need a leader who isn’t afraid to stand up when our members have done nothing wrong.”
In the FOP’s latest statement on Aug. 18, the organization accused Chief Johnson once again of being “self-serving” and stated he “does not have the best interest of his officers in mind.” The letter accuses Chief Johnson of using his department-issued city vehicle for personal use, like driving to his secondary employment at Pennsylvania State University, which they said was against Dover city code. They claim that the City Council amended the code in an Executive Session in 2023.
The FOP will not respond to requests for further comment at this time and stated that “In person interviews and a possible press conference will be held in the immediate future while we allow for our additional releases to be publicized.”
Meanwhile, in an Aug. 18 statement, Dover Mayor Robin R. Christiansen said, “These internal matters will be addressed and resolved appropriately between myself, Chief of Police, and the dedicated men and women of the Dover Police Department. I have full confidence in their professionalism and continued service to our community during this time.”
Dover City Council President Fred Neil stated in an email to the Delaware Call that Chief Johnson is a leader bringing “policing with more sensitiveness to public needs,” which he said includes community policing and his job as an instructor at Pennsylvania State University. He noted that “Recognizing losing his leadership because of an artificial age barrier, the city council wisely agreed to make a change. In other words, the city council made the change to benefit the public we serve.”
Neil, who was on the city council at the time, wrote that the Dover city code vote the FOP mentioned in their Aug. 18 statement dealt with age and that the Mayor “will be working with the FOP on any other issue of misunderstanding.”
These statements come after months of Dover residents and activists speaking out about police inaction in the state capital, with some blaming Chief Johnson for improper training of officers and others blaming the City of Dover as a whole. Additionally, groups like Neighbors Organized for Credibility and Accountability in Policing (NOCAP) have spoken at city council meetings about police misconduct, raising awareness among Dover residents about an online Google form that allows them to submit claims of police misconduct for the group to investigate. In the city council meeting minutes, some residents criticized police officers for being overly aggressive at times, while others demanded more visible policing, as they feel police officers are not around when they need them.
Councilman Neil also stated in his email that, “A recent campaign claiming Dover Police of barbarous behavior and calling for anonymous tips of abuse which can’t be verified has no validity and provide no basis for city council action.”
In the Aug. 18 statement by the Mayor, he also added, “While a small percentage of voices in our city have spoken out with discontent – some even resurfacing incidents from nearly a decade ago in an attempt to stir division, they do not reflect the broader community’s trust in our officers.”
It is unclear what incidents he is referring to in his statement.
Chelle Paul, a Dover community activist who has been vocal at past city council meetings, said Dover residents have had issues with police misconduct for years, but the police won’t bring them to light and won’t honor Freedom of Information Act requests.
“It is mind-boggling that instead of the Chief taking ownership, he bashed those on the front lines,” Paul said. “We still have a community to protect. It is very discouraging that he actually speak out in a negative light because he is getting negative publicity.”