This holiday season, a group of students, activists, parents, and grandparents are coming together to occupy the president’s Delaware neighborhood and insist on our right to life on a stable planet. They will remain at the green space near 909 Centre Rd, Wilmington, Delaware from Christmas to New Year’s Day, calling on the president to give the best possible gift to the world, by addressing global heating at the scale and speed that science requires.
Per the organizers:
Occupy Biden is calling on President Biden to take executive action on climate. Much more federal action is needed than what Congress might pass this year or next. Expansion of the oil, coal and gas industries most responsible for the crisis only pushes us closer to irreversible tipping points as the world continues to heat up. Those of low wealth and people of color trapped in polluting sacrifice zones and, indeed, all life on earth urgently need Biden to lead. He himself has said the climate crisis has reached “Code Red” intensity but has allowed expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure at a high rate.
The Delaware Call will host daily diaries from participants representing a variety of demographics and organizations, sharing their experiences at Occupy Biden and motivations for spending the week in this way.
Delaware Call readers are welcome to join this action, for an hour or for a day, and share their own stories as well.
To participate in future climate activism, please contact any of the participating organizations through social media:
- 2021 Grandparents Walk for our Grandchildren and Mother Earth
- Beyond Extreme Energy
- Build Back Fossil Free
- Climate Mobilization
- Code Pink
- Delaware Democratic Socialists of America
- Delaware Green New Deal Network
- Delaware Working Families Party
- Extinction Rebellion Delaware
- Extinction Rebellion Philly
- Extinction Rebellion Richmond
- Extinction Rebellion NYC
- Fridays for Future Delaware
- Honeybee Kitchen and Market
- Marcellus Outreach Butler
- Peace, Justice, Sustainability NOW!
- Sunrise Network Newark
- Sunrise Network Baltimore
- The Green Party of Butler County
- The Green Party of Venango County
- YES – Youth Environmental Summit